Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I must have been a very good girl this year.

I hope everyone got what they wanted for Christmas, I know I did. Not only did I get my photo lab that I have been drooling over, but so much more!

I have to thank my wonderfully talented husband for it all. He built me a new computer, (I was not expecting it at all), and on top of that I received (drum roll please)........an electric spinning wheel!!

Holy smokes I thought I had died, and gone to heaven! I was totally floored, I sat there, and stared at my gifts, dumbfounded.

This guy has created an absolutely stunning piece of machinery called the Electric Eel Wheel.
It comes both fully assembled, and  in kit form, which is what my husband purchased, and built. I have been wanting to try spinning for years now, but couldn't afford a wheel. I thank my lucky stars my husband is so  talented, and was able to make it for me.

He bought me a few little bags of fiber from JoAnns, the kind for needle felting. He had hoped it was the right kind of fiber. I wasn't sure myself, but they make for good practice.

Christmas Eve I spun my little heart out! It looks awful I know, but I couldn't be more proud. It's like that garter stitch scarf I made that first time knitting. I only have one bobbin, so I had to wind what I did on empty ribbon spools, now I know why I don't throw anything away!


The green is my first attempt, the red my second one I did Chirstmas day while my family watched. As you can see it's a little better it's less coiled, and a bit more even throughout. Here's my wheel, with what I did tonight on it, I get better each time I practice.






 It looks so easy when you watch spinning videos on youtube, but it's tough stuff. What's worse is that if you start to tense up, things just get harder, you really do have be very zen about it. But, trial and error is half the fun. I bought a few books to read as well:

"The Intentional Spinner: A Holistic Approach to Making Yarn" by Judith McCuin "

"Spin Dye Stitch" by Jennifer Claydon"

I love my wheel, it's hypnotic, and addictive. I'm currently out of fiber to spin and I'm itching for more!

I wish everyone a Happy New Year!







  

No comments:

Post a Comment