Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'd like to talk about an obession of mine.

Although my shop doesn't showcase much of it, my obsession is knitting. I am a self taught as no one in my family knits, although almost everyone crochets. About 5 years ago I bought a knitting  CD at a local craft store, a pair of  size 8 needles, and a skein of Red Heart yarn. I was determined to learn.

I popped the $10.00 CD into my computer and watched it a few times, took up my needles and never looked back. In just a few hours I had learned a double cast on, knit, purl, and binding off. I also knew I was hooked. After I did this for a few more hours, of course I wanted to make the most cable ridden sweater I could find, but I knew better. I started simple: a garter stitch scarf.

While knitting this scarf, which I thought would never be finished, I dove into the knitting/fiber world head first. I did what every knitter does. I made a stash. To this day my stash has no rhyme or reason, I see something I like, I buy a few skeins, and add it to the hoard. I am no fiber snob, I think acrylic yarn is beautiful, and has it's rightful place as much as any cashmere, merino, or silk. It's all together, stuffed into big plastic bins, waiting for the project it is destined for.

Like I said before I am self taught, I had no teacher, but a few books, you tube,  and plenty of trial and error. I've taught a few people to knit since then, and they all get frustrated just like I did. I tell them I didn't get to where I am by stopping, you'll get there if it's what you want to do. And if you don't, to hell with it, try something else at least you know you did your best!

I did finish that garter stitch scarf  after about three weeks of slow, determined knitting. I wore it proudly that winter and still have it. It's lumpy, with some stitches too tight and some too loose, but I keep to remind me that we all have to start somewhere.

So I guess the point of this post is to try something new, who knows you might fall in love with it.

Books I enjoy that have helped me over the years:

Vogue Knitting The Ultimate Knitting Book  - I would say everyone who knits should have this. It talks about everything from casting on to how to knit a hidden pocket into a sweater. So thorough and easy to understand. Also has a very interesting stitch collection in it.

99 Stitches To Knit - This book is the first knitting pattern book I bought and I still use it a lot. It's full of very clearly drawn stitches and very easy to understand directions. It's how I learned to cable knit.

Stitch N Bitch Nation - I bought this because it has a great chapter on how to redo patterns to specifically suit your needs. It's a great way to understand patterns, and to learn you don't always have to do what a pattern says. It also has lots of funky patterns of all difficulties.

There are tons of others, but these are ones that I really enjoyed while I was learning.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!

2 comments:

  1. Okay Jenny, you have inspired me! The next chance I get I am buying myself a CD and I am going to give it a go again!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete